Love Beyond Words
Remember the good old phrase, “Actions speak louder than words”? There’s a reason it goes down in history as one of the best, and we believe the same goes for love: The act of love speaks louder than simply saying it. Saying I LOVE YOU and really meaning it is a beautiful thing, even if it’s just out of habit. But if you’re just saying it and not following up with actions out of love or doing things to show the ones you love that you love them, we’ve got something to work on. We can’t let love stop with our words!
Have you read the book The 5 Love Languages – The Secret to Love that Lasts? Well it’s safe to say we both believe the hype and can fully understand that everyone shows and accepts love differently. If you haven’t already read it, (we suggest you do) it will tell you that every love language requires different ways of showing love, but none of them stop at the three little words, “I love you”. All of them require more. Chances are you love the SHH out of your loved ones, but sometimes you have a hard time showing them. Let’s put our feelings into practice and see where it takes us. Here are a few ways you can practice loving beyond words.
- Give them your time – Schedule time that is completely un-interrupted to focus on them
- Do something to make them laugh – Laughter is the best medicine! Send a text during the day with a joke or a funny GIF to make them laugh
- Let them know you’re thinking about them – Leave a post-it note on the counter or get them a coffee. Something out of the blue just because you were thinking of them
- Food – Because who doesn’t love food? Baking a special treat or making their favorite meal fills their tummy and their heart
- Help them finish a task – Is there something they have to do that you know you can help with? Go get their car washed or mow the lawn to help them
- Listen – Like REALLY listen. Be fully engaged so you remember what they said and don’t have to ask later
- SURPRISE them – Plan a special night out or event with them just because you want them to smile
- Motivate them – Be their biggest cheerleader, especially when they are doing something that is good for themselves and others. Let them know they are making a difference
- Hold their hand – You know when you see an elderly couple holding hands it it makes your heart want to burst with cuteness? So go on, reach on across the arm rest and give their hand a good old squeeze!
We have learned along this amazing journey to change the world with kindness, that there’s always room to grow and learn, and that the best way to get the most out of life is to be the best version of yourself possible. Love beyond words. It’s worth the effort.
We are 2 Colleens who share a passion to make the world a kinder place. We’re so happy you’re here!
We started recording our conversations.
Mondays get an undeserved bad rep.
There’s always a lot more behind our messages.
We really like to make people smile.